Search This Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Eclectic eating..

Alright, so in this post I'm going to suggest Kraft Dinner. Yes, good ol' KD. But.. I'm going to mix it with some other ingredients to design an overall healthy, delicious meal. No longer is the art of mixing and matching high end with low just for fashion and design. I mean it's not fair. If the best stylists and interior designers can do the 'H&M with Lanvin' thing with praise, so to can the best diet foodies. A few mass produced items won't ruin a look, nor a palate, nor a healthy body and trim waistline.

K, so here are a few of my fave things to do with KD:

KD with Shirataki:

Here are the two ingredients I start with. One microwavable KD Original (I like the microwavable because it's portion controlled and so easy to grab on the go). One bag House Foods Tofu Shiritaki Noodles (I buy at Whole Foods or Longos/Grocery Gateway or www.lowcarbgrocery.com).

* If anybody has read my last book, The Rebel Diet, you know I LUV shirataki noodles. They're awesome. A whole bag of House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles has only 40 calories and is basically carb free, consisting of protein, water, and fiber. It keeps you full for virtually no calories and it can take the place of pasta in any recipe*


 I make the KD according to instructions. Remove lid, put cheese packet to the side, add water to fill line, nuke for 3.5 minutes.

While this is in the microwave, I make shirataki. I cut open the bag, dump the noodles into a strainer and rinse with warm water. Done. Then I pat them dry and cut them because they're really long.




This is how you rinse the noodles. You should rinse them for a minute or so tossing so that by the end the noodles basically taste and smell like nothing so that they'll take on the taste of any dish you put them with.




 


When the KD is ready and the noodles are washed, you simply add the cheese packet (I only use half) to the KD and then mix the two sets of noodles together...






And Voila!

This bowl of pasta is quite big so it's filling, yet it has only 260 calories! To up the protein content, mix in half can of tuna (total now is 320 calories). It's delicious. Or enjoy a piece of fish or chicken on the side.
 
When I'm in a rush, I let KD be the the H&M of my Whole Foods world.

In my books, I often suggest a lot of fresh and high quality food products. But I'm no snob. I think it's important to learn how to make cheaper, easier foods work for your health and diet as well. I'd way rather someone grab this on the go than a fast food burger and fries citing no time to cook as the excuse.. (although burger and fries sounds good too.. future post.. healthy twist but of course..)




No comments:

Post a Comment